Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reading through the World

I find that travel makes me want to read books about other people traveling. I also find that not traveling makes me want to read books about other people traveling. Go figure. Perhaps I just enjoy the genre, so here is a list for all of you out there who enjoy it too.

Betsy's Top 10 Highly Varied Travel Reads
  1. Eat, Love, Pray (Elizabeth Gilbert) - Italy, India, Bali
  2. Notes from a Small Island (Bill Bryson) - Britain
  3. Almost French (Sarah Turnbull) - France
  4. Betsy and The Great World (Maud Hart Lovelace) - Germany, Italy
  5. The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway) - France, Spain
  6. Postcards from Europe (Rick Steves) -
  7. On The Road (Jack Kerouac) - United States
  8. Into the Wild (Jon Krakauer) - United States
  9. Dave Barry Does Japan (Dave Barry) - Japan
  10. Walden (Henry David Thoreau) - United States
Check out World Hum's top thirty travel books and Brave New Traveler's top fifty for more ideas.

Brave New Traveler includes quite a few I wouldn't have thought of as travel literature (like Life of Pi, A Little Prince, Letters to a Young Poet), but I like how they are interpreting the genre.

No comments: