Sunday, October 26, 2008

Friday Night Cards Presents: Chocolate Covered Orange Peel





It's something between eating an orange gum drop and chewing on something not meant to be eaten: candied orange peel. 

When I set out to try this recipe from Baking Bites Blog ( http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2004/12/candied-orange-peel.html )
for Friday night cards, I thought it would be straightforward and exotic at the same time, an easy recipe that would yield delighted smiles from my hungry friends. But after waking up at 6 a.m. on Friday before school to begin the boiling and reboiling process, my doubts began to build. Could these well-boiled orange slats turn into something tasty? 

My doubts built up to the height of the Eiffel tower when I fed Brett one of the dried candied rinds after school and he spit it out with a loveable "don't hate me because your orange peel is gross" laugh. Nevertheless, I decided to follow through the final step and melt dark chocolate to dip the candied ickiness into. After all, almost everything tastes good with a thick coating of chocolate applied - even Miracle Max's miracle pill to cheat death in The Princess Bride

The guests arrived, the plate came out, the first bite went into the first mouth, and....
two people asked for the recipe! Compliments were literally pouring forth! Who would ever have thought it possible, based on the early stages and the first taste tester's reaction. It just goes to show, good things come from orange rind, tons of boiling water, and dark chocolate. 

No comments: